Thursday, February 10, 2011

sluts are just girls starving off boredom until their soul mates come along

Valentine’s Day.  Hallmark’s money making scam between Christmas and Easter?  The most romantic day of the year?  An opportunity to dress up and either drink alone, or laugh when appropriate at your significant other’s stories?
Who knows.
I have had one good Valentine’s Day.  Three years ago....new boyfriend, new top, new restaurant.  We did the whole thing to the max.  An amazing five course meal, two mind numbing bottles of wine, strawberries dipped in North America’s aphrodisiac (chocolate), and the romantic chat and cuddle in front of the fire place.  I got a card, flowers, a spa day, concert tickets, and an evening of compliments.  Since then, it’s been downhill.  Guys do that, they impress me so much at the beginning that anything after the initial courting is below par.
I don’t know the meaning of Valentine’s Day, but I know I have a love hate relationship with it.  I am in love with effort that my friend’s go through to please their significant others.  I am in love with the Valentine’s Day cards (I have about seven blank ones at home that I “had” to buy).  I am in love with the dress up, be wined, and dined, concept.  But I hate the “I’m alone and have no one to go home to” part.
The radio has told me that if I don’t get a Hercules Knot (Spence Diamonds) this year then no one loves me; the card store has shown me that there are thousands of moderately well worded poems out there and if I don’t get one, I am no one; and the street side advertisement about roses being on sale tells me that even when roses are half price, I am not “sweet” enough to get any.  I mean, COME ON!
So, really, is it worth it parading around saying, “I HATE Valentine’s Day because I am single and no one loves me!!!”?  If you ask me, it’s the thoughtful moments that are not insisted upon that mean the most.  The random flowers and hidden notes that I remember the most and that make it into my Memory Box.   So , if you don’t get a card or flowers or even a Lindt Chocolate heart (which are to die for), put on your sexy panties Monday, apply an extra coat of mascara, and wear a great bra, maybe you’ll have a boyfriend by days end.  And if you are in love with the wrong guy and thus permanently single (or let down) like me, drink.  Or if you are single like me and don’t drink, do yoga.  Yoga is the new vodka, didn’t you know?
Happy (almost) Valentine’s Day Lovelies.

3 comments:

  1. Yoga is the new vodka?! Interesting! The bf has hockey Monday (seriously. It's a men's leaugue. For grown up men with wives) so I am flying solo....yoga?!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. give it time girl, the right guy will come along. As for valentines day, i would prefer to cuddle with my girl on the couch watching a romantic movie and then a good horror show.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yoga is the new Vodka. - Couldn't have put it better myself.

    ReplyDelete